Re[2]: Clarification: NRP's licensing status & IKMP

Amir,

Thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully we can now move forward now with
discussions relevant to the specifications that we are developing.

>Subject: Re: Clarification: NRP's licensing status & IKMP
>Author:  amir@watson.ibm.com@INTERNET

   stuff skipped ...

>Donald and all,
>
>Please understand: I'm NOT proposing that NRP would be a part or mentioned
>in ipsec standards!! (IPSEC standard should mention your `randomness RFC';

I had one more observation ...

> >2. Warning: modifications to NRP must be made available to IBM (i.e. this is
> >fine for making other public domain stuff but problematic for products).
> >This is similar to the status of many other `public domain' sw, e.g. RSAREF,
> >PGP, ...

Not all public domain software is created equal (licensed the same).

!!!        From "license.txt" contained in:                   !!!
!!!              software.watson.ibm.com/pub/security/nrp.tar !!!
>     f.  IBM requests that the user supply to IBM a copy
>         of any changes, enhancements, or derivative
>         works which the user may create.  The user
>         grants IBM and its subsidiaries an irrevocable,
>         nonexclusive, worldwide and royalty-free
>         license to use, execute, reproduce, display,
>         perform, prepare derivative works based upon,
>         and distribute, (INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY)
>         copies of any and all such materials and
>         derivative works thereof, and to sublicense
>         others to do any, some, or all of the
>         foregoing, (including supporting
>         documentation).

Coders beware, any incorporation of NRP code into a project forfeits ownership
to IBM.

Paul