Re: Re[3]: Clarification: NRP's licensing status & IKMP

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:28:17 -0500
From: " " <amir@gimili.watson.ibm.com>

> Thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully we can now move forward now with
> discussions relevant to the specifications that we are developing.

Agreed! Sorry to have added noise! Let's stop it (move more discussion
off list)

> I had one more observation ...
>
> > >2. Warning: modifications to NRP must be made available to IBM (i.e. this is
> > >fine for making other public domain stuff but problematic for products).
> > >This is similar to the status of many other `public domain' sw, e.g. RSAREF,
> > >PGP, ...
>

> Not all public domain software is created equal (licensed the same).

I'm sure not all Public-domain stuff has such clauses, but the two
examples I gave do have so they are traps just as much as NRP is.
If this is a problem to somebody considering NRP, help me resolve it
by discussing this off-list, preferably with some good examples of
comparable sw that was given to the public without similar clauses.
Thanks!

Amir

> Coders beware, any incorporation of NRP code into a project forfeits ownership
> to IBM.

Please, Paul: the problem is just for non-public domain use. I agree this
is still a problem for many of us - we have to deal with exactly this
problem in my group! But, IBM does not become owner, just has free
license... If all gets free license this does not mean much. Again: these
are the same terms as of RSAREF, for example (as far as I can see).