Re: Re[2]: Networking Model for Crypto-services [was] Re[2]: Ad

Paul_Lambert-P15452@email.mot.com says:
> What if an IPSP encapsulated packet is originated from a system that
> is not running IP?  This is not in the scope of our IETF
> specification,

Solving the problem for the internet is a hard enough problem, in my
opinion. We should be concentrating on that.

> The mapping of "Red" to "Black" addresses is an interesting issue.

Not the least of which because ordinary TCP/IP applications work
poorly in conditions in which addresses are mapped. Application level
firewalls have to take considerable pains to conceal this mapping -- I
doubt that we can solve such a problem here.

> There are many mapping combinations, and most can and have been made
> to work.  In the IPSP specification we should provide a
> recommendation on this topic.

Given the complexity of this problem -- how would you get FTP to work
in such an environment? -- I suggest that we swiftly beat a retreat
from the question of address mapping.

> Back to addressing, I propose that we decouple the lower layer IP
> address from the processing of the IPSP encapsulation.  If we do
> this, any of the addressing models can be made to work.

Would this mean that endpoints would have to process SAIDs without any
notion of what host a given IPSP packet came from? This would be a new
twist on the proposal as made thus far.

Perry