Re: Clogging attacks on SKIP

> From: uri@watson.ibm.com
> Phil, you're perfecgly correct, but shouldn't we draw a line somewhere?
> Like there might be Z80 CPUs,  but we don't really expect users to run
> the stuff on those...  And there are Crays around, but we don't really
> plan everybody to upgrade to Crays in the near future?  8088 chips are
> nice, but aren't thy going away real fast?

I expect to run the code on Z80 equivalents.

One of my current contracts involves 186s.  Expect tens of millions.

The 386 just isn't available for embedded ASICs yet.

> There are two ways, as far as I see. One is to use MD5, and if somebody
> insists on running the code on 8088 - tough. The other is - to define a
> choice of hash-functions, so users of the "challenged" CPUs will be
> able to select the one suitable for them (negotiable parameter).

That makes interoperability very difficult.  And involves an extra pair
of messages to exchange the parameter, which was the whole point of the
earlier message (eliminating the cookie exchange).

So, there is no improvement.  Let's just stick to the cheap Foturis
exchange, thanks anyway.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu