Re: MD5 performance limitations document

>  Don't mind. The draft reports 100Mbps with DEC Alpha, which is CMOS,
>  which already exceed the THEORETICAL CMOS limit of 70Mbps.

The 100Mbps number is probably bogus, but 70Mbps for aligned, ordered
data is what I've measured on a 175 MHz Alpha.  The standard implementation
is about 35Mbps.

>  > Someone should look for possible pipelines or space-time tradeoffs in
>  > MD5, much as has been done for DES.

>  If MD5 or DES has any short cuts for computation, it's not secure.

That's only a known theorem in the same sense that it's not as secure if the
machines compute faster.

MD5 doesn't seem to have many opportunities for optimization, having been
designed to be highly sequential.  But I'd be glad to hear of any
improvements.  For 64-bit machines there are opportunities to speed things
up, but changing the algorithm might be a more fruitful path.