Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-ah-md5-00.txt

> Ron Rivest has stated that a shared secret at the front of a message is not
> sufficient for authentication.  I thought that I remembered this being
> discussed ath the San Jose IETF.  Further, I thought that we agreed that we
> would solve this weakness by puting the shared secret before and after the
> data payload.

The appending attack is solved by including the IP Total Length field
in the calculation.  Ran explained this.

> Does anyone else remember this?  I seem to remember the discussion causing
> a tanget about "prepend" not being a word.

That was me.  I remember.  The WG minutes do not suggest a decision was
made.  I have email from the Area Director recommending we only use
the front, as that is compatible with what other WGs are doing.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu