Re: AH-MD5

At  6:40 PM 1/24/95 -0500, hugo@watson.ibm.com wrote:
>Ref:  Your note of Tue, 24 Jan 95 14:02:41 GMT
>
>>> Hearing no objections -- delighted that the WG has come to quiet
>>> consensus.

When the signal to noise ratio gets to low, people stop listening. This is
not consensus, it is simply quiet.

>Just to break the *quiet* consenus: I personally would prefer to
>see a prepend+append MD5 for IP authentication.

I agree 100%, I would much rather have a MD5 hash that is irregardless of
the content of the packet, header or psudo header or whatever.

It is my opinion that prepend and append of the hash with the key is
simple, inexpensive, as well as elegant and prone -not- to be weakened by
future protocol changes.

If the IETF voted, I would vote for prepend and append, but mine is but a
single voice......

Jim

James P Hughes <hughes@hughes.network.com>
Key fingerprint =  68 E7 D5 75 3C 88 86 71  D4 34 36 C3 8E DD 48 17