patent issues on keyed MD5?

Folks, we may have a patent issue to contend with.  Novell was recently
issued U.S. patent number 5,349,642 (my thanks to Tim Farley for posting
this information to alt.security and comp.security.misc); it appears to
cover the notion of message authentication via a key cryptographic hash
function.  The patent was filed on 11/03/1992 and issued on 9/20/1994.

There may be a question of priority.  Tsudik's paper describing keyed
hash functions was presented at a conference in May 1992, according to
the Postscript copy I have.  But I don't know who came up with the idea
first, and the U.S. is a first-to-invent country.  Nor do I know when
the notion was first used for NTP or SNMP authentication.

		--Steve Bellovin

P.S.  The patent text is in

	http://www.town.hall.org/Archives/patent/data2/05349/05349642