Re: AH-MD5

IMNVHO, The long-run algorithm should NOT be our focus now.
Our focus now should be on
	1) algorithm-indendent protocol specs
and	2) a right-now algorithm that is good enough, but not
		necessarily perfect, and has tolerable performance.

The early performance data I'm hearing about for SHA makes me VERY
doubtful that it is practical to deploy SHA universally or to get
it used on very many packets.  We need an authentication-without-
confidentiality mechanism that is practical to use on virtually every
packet with acceptable performance.  SHA does not appear to be
that algorithm at this time with currently available commercial systems
(e.g. 90MHz 586s, SPARCs, Alphas, etc).

Regards,

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil