a missing piece

The IPv6 security protocols are supposed to work host to host or
gateway to gateway.  But we haven't specified a protocol for hosts
to use to specify to their security gateways (by which do not necessarily
mean firewalls) what security services are desired.  Similarly, we
need a protocol -- an IPv6 header, to be more precise -- by which
the security gateway can (over a nominally-trusted wire) what security
services were in effect for received packets.  The former is rather
reminiscent of the IP security label option, though I won't call it
such for fear of reopening a can of worms; the latter has some tricky
aspects, such as stripping out bogus incoming security service headers
and dealing with IP within IP.

		--Steve Bellovin