Re[2]: WG last call for IPv4 AH and ESP

>> There is no reason to have two IPv4 security protocols!
>
>> There should only be one protocol (per San JOse discussions) that provides
>> confidentiality, integrity (a.k.a. authentication), or confidentiality and
>> authentication.
>
>There is just one protocol. The ESP and AH headers are two different
>headers, but they function in substantially identical ways.  There is
>a need for a transparent authentication only header which the AH
>provides -- ESP provides for either confidentiality or confidentiality
>and authentication.

Do these two header formats share the same protocol number?

The IPv4-AH header that you propose meets the basic format requirements of the
IPv6-AH protocol.  There is no need for both!

Other than this minor point the encapsulation formats still should directly
correspond to our last meeting.  We are not in that far off on technical
issues.

< acrimonious maledictions skipped >

>If you wish to make this into a sufficiently big issue to prevent the
>committee from completing its work, you doubtless can find ways to do
>so -- in your privileged position as chair there are no end of
>dilatory tactics you could employ -- but this would be manifestly
>against the interests and desires of the community.

Please Perry, no need to get personal.  As chair I have been exceedingly quiet
in pressing any personal opinions.  Your vitriolic ramblings do the group a
disservice.

Paul