WG last call for IPv4 AH and ESP

Ref:  Your note of Wed, 22 Feb 1995 07:51:53 -0500 (attached)

Ran and Marcus,

I can't agree more with you that IPSP needs to be independent from the
specific key management protocols.
It is the sole responsibility of SAIDs to provide the interface to key
management.

However this independence principle is not violated by what Ashar requested.
As I said in a previous note, the only change you need to current draft is
to specify one bit of the SAID as meaning "structured" and "non-structured".
(Nothing else. Not even a single specification for the "structure" of
structured SAIDs)

Not only this provides for in-band keys but provides additional flexibilty
to the potential key-management protocols
(An example of such added flexibility was mentioned
in my previous note on this issue; it allows improving perfect forward
secrecy of session keys, a seemingly widely accepted goal of this group.
I can explain more if needed).

And it preserves 100% INDEPENDENCE!

Hugo