Re: WG last call for IPv4 AH and ESP

Ashar Aziz says:
> This doesn't have to be the case. I believe that in-band keying
> can be generally accommodated without regard to methods.

I don't believe this is possible. The recipient is going to have to
know how to interpret some sort of special signal to the effect that a
particular method is in use.

> In particular,
> I believe both the DEC and the SKIP methods can be accommodated
> using generic language, where the specifics of how the keys
> were encrypted would be part of the key-mgmt drafts.

Moving language out of a draft is not the same as providing clean
seperation of function. In particular, I would have to hack the
kernel implementation of IPSP to understand key management. Right now,
my design has no kernel based key management at all and needs none.

This is not to say that I have yet formed a solid opinion on what
should be done here. I'm merely saying that things are not that clean.

Perry