Re: WG last call for IPv4 AH and ESP

> From perry@imsi.com Thu Feb 23 12:54 PST 1995
> To: ashar@osmosys.incog.com (Ashar Aziz)
>> > This doesn't have to be the case. I believe that in-band keying
> > can be generally accommodated without regard to methods.
>
> I don't believe this is possible. The recipient is going to have to
> know how to interpret some sort of special signal to the effect that a
> particular method is in use.

Well, the recipient has to know how to employ a particular
key-mgmt protocol. But this is true in general. If they
use different key-mgmt protocols than in general they
cant communicate.

Take a look at IEEE 802.10b. This is the equivalent of IPSP for
IEEE 802.10. It accommodates in-band keying, although it was designed
with the DEC approach in mind. (In particular, I believe a more
generic description is possible).

Regards,
Ashar.