Re: (IPng) Proposed Standard or no?

Allow both.  Don't mandate the use of one over the other.  In systems which are
in use today we use both methods, I would suspect each equally (at least from my
experience over the past 12 years in secure communications system design &
implementation.)  Admittedly each has it's good and bad points, but we are all
in the process of trying to design a NEW protocol and this protocol, if it is to
be widely accepted, must be able to be implemented by everyone.  Some customers
really are not concerned with the overhead, they just want a secure channel.  It
really depends on the application.

Bottom line:  Security has always had some overhead and it always will.

W.S. "Skip" Harborth
Manager & Senior Engineer
   Information Systems Security Engineering
Houston Associates,  Incorporated
4601 North Fairfax Dr, Suite 1001
Arlington, Virginia  22203    USA
(703) 284-8732     812-5099 (fax)