Re: (IPng) Re: out-of-band key management is like virtual circuits

I, too, believe that the solutions we offer should be capable of
accomodating both in-band and out-of-band KM (or key distribution).
As with other topics, it seems that there are three options (probably
more, but so it goes) for doing this: negotiation that includes IPSP
format; structured SAIDs that connote IPSP format and semantics; and
multiple protocol IDs.  Essentially, the second option is a way to
extend the protocol ID space without consuming additional IP next
protocol numbers.  I believe Russ's suggestion below has merit; but if
we can't reach agreement on adding such structure to the SAID field,
then I would suggest we consider adopting two protocol IDs, one for
the fixed format structure Bill and Perry have espoused and one with
comparable syntax but with the SAID based extensible option Russ
describes.  This argument seems to reduce to the efficiency of where
"protocol" demultiplexing takes place.

I believe it is critical that we leave Danvers with stable documented
proposals (and agreement :-)).

Dave