user-to-user vs. host-to-host keying

One of the issues that is debated about keying requirments for IPv4 and IPv6
is how to thwart cryptoanalytic threats. The IPv6 security I-Ds specify that
user-to-user keying must be supported to meet these (I couldn't find
this called out in the IPSEC drafts of Metzger and Simpson, but I thought
this issue is of sufficiently wide-spread interest that I am also posting this
message to the IPSEC mailing list).

I asked Burt Kaliski to comment on how much text is needed by the best
techniques published in the open literature to cryptoanalyze DES. Here is
his response.

===