Re[2]: (IPng) More Endpoint Attributes

        Date: Wed, 15 Mar 95 16:12:07 -0500
        From: Andy Bayerl <bayerl@zk3.dec.com>

        But that still means that a given transaction carries only a single
        SAID which addresses a specific SA. In the MLS CMW world, any or all
        of the attributes associates with one or both ends of a connections
        may modulate. This means that we need a SAID for all the
        attribute combinations that are used during a session. For
        example, in our (DEC MLS) world using trusted X-windows, the
        process privilege set may modulate at a fairly high frequency.
        In addition Information Labels may float based upon the data
        accessed and visible in a window at any given time. Now for
        any given session there may not be a *lot* of different privileges
        and/or information labels, but we still would need a SAID to represent
        each combination used and the total number is multiplicative as we add
        more users with different privileges, more sensitivity levels, etc.

I'm sorry.  I think that I missed why we're considering privileges or
information labels as attributes that should be carried in an IP-level
header.  I see them both as data that are unnecessary for IP to do its
work.  They should be carried by a higher-level protocol.  As far as I
can tell, only sensitivity labels would be useful in an IP-level
header.  On first consideration, I don't feel at all uncomfortable
with a different SAID for different sensitivity labels.

Dean Jagels
Scientific Atlanta
Dean.Jagels@sciatl.com