Need for single versatile and modular key management protocol

I agree with Phil. We need a flexible, versatile and modular design,
which would offer all the features some of us need (including perfect forward
secrecy and similar resiliency to key exposures). We need to keep it simple
and efficient, too; in particular the more expensive features should be
optional
when there's a simple way to make them so. Another thing I'll like to have is
to allow license-free implementations of at least a useful subset.

I think that we are not very far from these goals, esp. with the variant that
Hugo has described.

Best, Amir