Re: A Modest Proposal

> Nice joke. But I think you wanted also a serious reply,

Indeed I did.

> We need a solution NOW, to get standard-complying (as much as
> possible) products this year.

Indeed we do, and I am NOT NOT NOT proposing that we touch the extant
MD5 authentication draft, at least not much. (I would like us all to
decide that MD5(key, text, key) is acceptable and get on with our
lives so we can implement).

I am proposing however that we have to look for alternatives for the
future in a serious way, and that the crypto people would probably be
adding the most value possible to this process if they started
studying the question in a solid way.

Perry