Re: IPv6 Security Last Call Initial Questions (per user keying)

   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 08:34:50 -0800
   From: Danny.Nessett@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Nessett)

   Your suggestion :

   >  Presumably the SPI will include the necessary keying material for the
   >  security context.

   if I understand it correctly, confuses the SPI, which is the 32 bit
   identifier carried in IP packets, with the security context
   information it identifies.  The SPI is just a number that anyone can
   guess or snoop from the network.

... which recent messages have termed the "SAID".  This may all be a
confusion with the terminology that's used.

   and I am not opposed to trying this idea out. My only dispute is
   making the support for it mandatory. Claims by Perry Metzger to the
   contrary, I don't think we know enough about this approach to force
   implementers to support it.

On the contrary.  In so far as we are requiring the support of
out-of-band keying as a default mechanism which must be implemented, the
ability to set the security context information outside of the kernel is
both (a) trivial, and (b) a good idea in terms of requiring abstraction
boundaries.

As Ran said, I don't see this as an editorial change, but rather being
more explicit in stating what has always been the case, as a fundamental
design philosophy.

							- Ted