Re: IPv6 Security Last Call Initial Questions

At 11:21 AM 3/31/95, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>TCP/IP WANs. (I was very amused when a certain ignorant government
>official actually claimed in my presense that no one was using "the
>internet" for mission critical applications.

Perry,

I am not amused, and have not been amused for some time, by your frequent
use of "ignorant" and other perjorative terms.  In this case, I think it's
a matter of your lack of familiarity of the terminology used in the
Government, particularly the U.S. Department of Defense.  In the DoD and
other parts of Government, this is the usual definition:

A service is *critical* or *mission-critical* if denial of service would
directly or indirectly jeopardize human life or adversely affect national
security by impairing the ability of a major defense component to perform a
primary mission function.  (Even the defining terms here are heavily loaded
with meaning, particularly "national security", and "primary mission
function" when used in combination with "major defense component". Try
"control of the sealanes" in the context of "Commander Atlantic Fleet".)

Data networks are used to provide mission-critical services throughout DoD
and rest of the Federal community.  I am not yet aware of such usage on the
Internet.

-Rob-