Re: IPv6 Security Last Call Initial Questions

> Ted,
>
> >You seem to be the only one argueing for making DES optional....
>
> Yes I am the only vocal one.

Well, I have to add my voice too. We need a standard which would allow us to
have an exportable product which would be standard complying. I hate the export
restrictions and I think they should be removed, but I don't think the IETF
standrads should just ignore them and `punish' us further for living under
them.

It is demaging enough to US firms that we'll have to offer the weaker-security
version... Don't harm us further by trying to exclude such implementations
from standard.

A compromise: the standard could allow for an `authentication only'
implementation. In this way we would not mislead anybody to trust weak
encryption. Auth only is a valueable protocol.

Best, Amir

p.s. I suspect Jim is right and there are many who share this position - i.e.
we need exportable version but hate to admit it since it's so crazy...

Follow-Ups: References: