Re: Bellovin's attack and others like it

I think that just because there might be a solution to the
specific attack suggested by Steve doesn't mean that this
solution is general enough for all attacks, as pointed out
by Dan Nessett. Thus, I agree that requiring an integrity
check on all encrypted data is a must.

On another note, I think it is vital to include all types
of key management schemes for IPSEC. For example, if I
already have an installed Kerberos base in my organization,
and I want to use it for key management for IP, there should
be nothing in the standard keeping me from doing this.

Now, I have a totally different question. At the IETF in
Danvers, I asked many people that are implementing key
management, how do you do key management over IP when your
policy indicates that all IP traffic must be encrypted?
The answer I got from everyone is that you somehow mark
the key management packets so that they are allowed. Doesn't
that violate the independence of the layers in the network?
If I can mark packets as regular IP or key management IP,
where do I do this marking? In the kernel? Nobody I talked
to has actually implemented key management, encapsulation
and a policy. Shouldn't there be something in the standard
that mandates or recommends how to achieve all three?

Avi Rubin

Aviel D. Rubin                       Email: rubin@faline.bellcore.com
Bellcore (MRE-2M354)  ftp://thumper.bellcore.com/pub/rubin/rubin.html
445 South St.
Morristown,  NJ  07960                         Voice: +1 201 829 4105
USA                                            FAX:   +1 201 829 2645