Re: Bellovin's attack and others like it

Perry, we have similar experience. I think if decison-making is done at IP
layer, then most likely there will be some layer mixing (i.e., IP looks at
the transport layer.). Our code uses UDP and it does not cause any difficulty.
I think this little layer mixing is a common practice on firewall/packet-filter
already.

Using a new transport procotol may be conceptually cleaner and make IPSP policy
simpler (no need for exemptions), though.

If we put key mgmt engine is the user space, then my feeling is that there
is no big difference in coding effort/complexity between the two approaches.

Regards, Pau-Chen