Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

Perry says,

> I've already managed to request a copy for my company of the IBM
> document assuring that they will not invoke their patent rights

Great. Please tell me if this document would have any problem.
The patent should be free to you if your company would not claim its own
patents against IBM with respect to our implementations of IKMP. (So far the
only
possible exceptions I'm aware of are RSA and maybe Sun).

> (largely because I plan on early implementation and don't want to have
> to think about the situation)

To remind you and all, IBM does not require license for any experimental
implementations (see another note from John).

> but quite frankly I agree -- I don't see
> why they don't just follow Sun's lead.

Well, leaving the issue of whether they should do it or not, on which I was
specifically asked not to comment, at least I can
explain WHY they don't just dedicate the patent, or at least the reason they
give to me.

This patent (not like Sun's, if I understood right) was not written as a
result of our IPsec activity and has nothing to do with IP. Therefore, it
applies in some other scenarios (and to several IBM products as well
as other companies products). While IBM is willing to give free use for IKMP,
it does not want to give up its rights in other places.

Best, Amir