Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

" " says:
> Perry says,
>
> > I've already managed to request a copy for my company of the IBM
> > document assuring that they will not invoke their patent rights
>
> Great. Please tell me if this document would have any problem.

I'll find out soon, but the real problem I see is that it adds
unnecessary and silly paperwork into the process. For instance, if my
work gets maintained by a third party, do they then need to get a copy
of your document? Lets say that Joe Random Hacker sends me bugfixes --
did he need to have a license? Overall, its an unpleasant
nuissance. I've requested a copy largely so that I can get it over
with.

> The patent should be free to you if your company would not claim its
> own patents against IBM with respect to our implementations of
> IKMP. (So far the only possible exceptions I'm aware of are RSA and
> maybe Sun).

Actually, I think thats entirely reasonable, but I'd have prefered for
you guys to simply have made a public enough declaration on the matter
and to have eliminated this buisiness of giving people individual
documents at all. (Perhaps you could have given people official copies
of the declaration if they wanted it, but thats another story.)

Perry