Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

Amir,

  If you all claim that work done by others in this WG infringes
in some manner on some patent claim of yours, then you ARE obligated
to describe which part of that other work you believe infringes on
which claim of which specific patent.

  The repeated actions of certain IBM employees with regard to patents
has in fact been obstructive of the WG progress.  I had hoped that
there was a real change of heart and that IBM was trying to be
constructive.  Here is a chance for you all to demonstrate good
faith efforts to help make progress rather than block progress.

  The WG chairs both consider the current IBM language to be onerous.
We propose that IBM place the patent(s) in question in the Public
Domain as Sun Microsystems has done with its patent regarding SKIP.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Co-Chair, IP Security WG