IBM US Patent #5,148,479

Ref:  Note from CIRCJWL AT RHQVM07 (attached)

John Lowe from IBM has just posted a note explaining that there
is *no requirement* for any implementer of the IP key managment
protocol to get a written statement from IBM about the free use of
the above patent in this protocol.

Unfortunately, to non-lawyers, like most of us are, the language
of these notes is somewhat confusing and may appear more complicated
than it really is.

Here I append a letter I sent to John (indented with > ) and his answers
(capital letters). The more "human oriented" language of this letter
can (hopefully) clarify the issue (and get all of us back to work).

Hugo

PS: Perry, notice that the situation is exactly as you "wished"
it to be in the last paragraph of your (attched) note.

 > Date: 20 April 1995, 12:16:57 EDT
 > From: HUGO     at YKTVMV
 > To:   CIRCJWL at RHQVM07
 > cc:   AMIR at YKTVMH
 >
 > Re:   IBM US Patent #5,148,479
 > Ref:  Note from "Perry E. Metzger" (attached)
 >
 > John, attached is a note to IPSEC by Perry Metzger.
 > If I understand correctly your posting to IPSEC, then
 > there is no paperwork *required* for anybody that wants to implement
 > the standard. It is up to individuals or companies to get
 > a written confirmation of the license from IBM,
 > but that is *not* a pre-requisite or requirement. Is that correct?

THAT IS CORRECT.  THE CONFIRMATORY LICENSE IS OPTIONAL; THE GRANT WAS MADE
IN THE POSTING AND PARTIES HAVE IT EVEN IF THEY DO NOT REQUEST CONFIRMATION.

 > Also, would it be fair to say that for any individual, company or organization,
 > that is *not* claiming (now or in the future) any patent rights on the key
 > management standard for Internet, the free license is automatically granted
 > by your posting (without any further action by them) ?

SEE ABOVE ANSWER.