Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

jwlowe@VNET.IBM.COM says:
> sueis in my notice.  If ITEF has a formal mechanism by which such a
> grant is documented, IBM would be willing to engage in that bit of
> bureauracy, if you think an RFC (whatever that is) will calm people's
> fears.

An RFC is an internet archival document. All internet standards are
published as RFCs, as are many other documents archived by the
internet community.

There is no formal proceedure, but its very easy for you guys to
publish an RFC. All you do is send the text of your document by EMail
to John Postel, the RFC editor, and he publishes it. This would be a
sufficiently public declaration that it would probably make a number
of people calmer. I'll point out that this isn't unprecedented --
other organizations have produced similar RFCs in the past.

Perry