Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
> This would be a
> sufficiently public declaration that it would probably make a number
> of people calmer. I'll point out that this isn't unprecedented --
> other organizations have produced similar RFCs in the past.

No, Perry, I respectfully disagree.  The proper procedure listed in
RFC-1602 is that the memo be sent to the Secretariate.

A RFC is a Request For Comments, and contains technical IP (Internet
Protocol, not Intellectual Property) information.

Since IBM has not identified any portion of Photuris to which this patent
allegedly applies, the filing of the declaration will have no meaningful
effect -- but I encourage it anyway, just so we have an archival copy.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu