Internet Securiy Interoperability: Final year project

         I'm a computing student, and in October I'll start my final year.
         I start collecting information for my project. On of my lecturer
         told me "check what already exist before rushing everywhere", so I
         follow his advise :

         This study will identify the variables which affect secure
         interworking in the Internet environment, and develop a model for
         achieving interoperability at different layers in the Internet
         Protocol Suite.

         I will work on IPv4 and on the emerging work on Internet key
         management (IPv6), Domain Name Service Security, network
         management security and initiatives for common authentication in
         the application layer.

         * Does anynome know if a similar project is in progress somewhere
         or has already been done ?
         * Some recommendations ?
         * Some ideas ?
         * Some advises ?
         I don't want copy the work of someone else but I'd like studying
         what already exist and what people thinks about that, to develop
         my own model by taking considerations of everyone.

         Thanks for your help

         Xavier Gosselin