RE: Comments on latest IPSP drafts

	NOT AN OFFICIAL US GOV EMPLOYER RESPONSE / OPINION ..

I think I heard the majority opinion at the IETF IPv6 Review (try pretty
nearly UNANIMOUS) at InterOP was on the same wavelength as Mr Freedman,
below.  If it is not secure for all .. it is not part of the work of a
secure standards body for all.  Did I say that so it was clear ?

I hope the implication is obvious.

/ev/

 On 1 May 1995, FreedmanJ wrote:

> >- we will not have violated our sacred duty as engineers.
>
> >I mean that last bit quite literally. Just as a doctor has a duty to
> >do the best job he can, I believe that it is my duty as an engineer to
> >always do the absolutely best job that I can. I feel that my personal
> >honor would be violated by anything less. I refuse to support
> >something crippled that gives people a false sense of security simply
> >to satisfy politicians. The politicians have to be the ones to tell
> >the users of my design that they can't import it or export it or
> >whatever. The blood is then on their hands, not mine.
>
> Perry
>

> I am having  a real hard time swallowing this. The IETF is a standards body
> whose duty is to develop high quality, implementable standards. Its members
> may be implementors but the IETF implements nothing. If the IETF chooses not
> to make DES a requirement and is up front about it then where is the "false
> sense of security" coming from. If you personally or your company feel
> strongly then you may implement the DES ESP and your hands can be as clean as
> you want.  If the IETF so decrees that that the DES-CBC is a MUST, and if
> companies choose to build and sell an IPv6-like product without this (which
> will probably happen - if there is a demand for IPv6  -if not then who cares),
> then
> the IETF has just taken another step along the path to irrelevance
>
>                                         Jerry Freedman

 + efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org efb@uvsi.jpl.nasa.gov +
 + efb@nosc.mil  efb@oxnardsd.org   [EFB15]   WA6CRE   Gold Coast Sun Users +
 + The Genie is Out of the Bottle!  :-)  CANT Put it Back, Nor even Nuke It +
 + Opinions, MINE, NOT Uncle_s  |  WWW b-news innd postmaster XNTP3 DNS GNU +

Follow-Ups: References: