CBC encryption document

Dear colleagues,

Just posted is my (apparently misnamed) working draft
    draft-ietf-ipsec-cbc-encrypt-00.txt.
This document constitutes a "counter-proposal" to
    draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-des-cbc-04.txt.
Please understand that the former document is not a "peer" of the
latter, in the sense that the former document functions at a decidedly
lower level.  It specifies ONLY a transform.   This is quite intentional.
(It is an implementation of Recommendation 5 of my April 3 comments.)

Why should the lowest-level IPSEC documents describe ONLY a transform?
(Here I mean "transform" in a technical sense: this is a certain
particular pair of functions.)  There are several reasons.  One is thta
it is virtually impossible for a cryptographer to assess (or change) the
proposals' cryptography when it is intermixed with the use of that
cryptography.

As a consequence of maintaining a rigid abstraction boundary at the level
of a transform, a transform-specifying document should be silent about
things like the structure of an IP packet.  This is the business of
the higher-level document which uses a transform.  Thus implicit in
this CBC encryption document is the understanding that
draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-01.txt be reworked to be truly generic, specifying
how to use an arbitrary encryption transform to accomplish its job.

Phil Rogaway