Re: ipsec compression support

The next version of Photuris (this weekend) will have transform numbers
allocated for compression.  I will use the same option formats as we
used for PPP.

Compression is orthogonal to encryption and authentication.  So, all
three can be selected in the same message.  You'll like it.

Compression will not be required to be supported.  We went through this
with PPP.  After a year and a half of testing and argument, we could not
agree on a required protocol.  We agreed on a negotiation mechanism.
And then we've been blocked from publishing that mechanism (CCP) for
another year and a half by a threatening letter to IETF from Motorola.

I posted that problem to this list over a year ago.  Motorola has
patented Van Jacobson Header Compression (using addresses to select
compression histories, and using any compression over unreliable links).
These are bogus patents.

So, Lambert, when are you going to handle the Motorola patent problem?

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu