Re[2]: compression, and other issues.

Jim said:
     Fourth issue. Proprietary algorithms. For experimental reasons,
     performance reasons and even for political reasons, proprietary
     algorithms are needed. I do not want to (and will not answer flames on
     this subject) defend thi need, but to be agile to a changing
     technological env  I think that the number of transforms reserved in
     photuris is too small. 256 combinations of encryption, compression,
     replay pervention, hashing, etc will run out especially if proprietary
     algorithms are required. Right now NSC needs 2 encryption and 1
     authentication numbers.

And, he is correct.  If you consider that every Government on earth is
likely to use its own confidentiality algorithm, we are already almost out
of numbers....

Russ