Re: SKIP (Security on the IP Layer) Sources [OOPS] (fwd)

Alan Cox wrote:
> From: iialan@iifeak.swan.ac.uk (Alan Cox)
> Subject: Re: SKIP (Security on the IP Layer) Sources
> This is ENskip, pre-alpha 0.10. ENskip is a security module for the TCP/IP
> stack. It provides encryption, authentication and sequencing of packets on
[...]
Well RMS will probably dislike your license which effectively is a derivative
work of the GLPL and thus quite possibly a copyright violation in itself, and
I can't use the code with the Linux kernel with its present license.
[...]

sigh.

The fact is that we want nobody to actually *use* this pre-alpha version in a
productive environment.  At the moment you can play around with it, enhance
it or familiarize yourself with SKIP. It is definitively too early for using
it in something commercial, or let it be used by 'security-unaware' people.

Also we had the problem that neither the Gnu License nor the Gnu Library
License (IMHO) fully fitted the concept of a loadable kernel module. Thus
we put something together which really is closely related to the Library
License, but is somewhat simpler.

I really would like to hear your opinion if this license is illegal, and in
what points it is too incompatible with the GPLL. Should we revert back to a
pure GPLL? Wouldn't this give problems in SKIP over Irix, Solaris and
NeXTstep? Please give me a hint, I really hate this legalese stuff, and
would happily accept an easy solution!

Germano

p.s. here the text which caused the hassle:

			ENskip Public License
			=====================

This is the ENskip public License, strongly influenced by the GNU Library
License V 2.0. Whenever the ENskip License does not address a certain point,
you may feel free to act according to the GNU Library License V 2.0 or, at
your wish, any later version.

  1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of ENskip's complete source
code as you receive it, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately
publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of
warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
absence of any warranty; and distribute a copy of this License along with
ENskip.

  2. You may not charge any fee for the distribution of ENskip, other than a
reasonable amount to compensate for the physical act of transferring a copy.

  3. You may modify your copy or copies of ENskip or any portion of it, thus
forming a work based on ENskip, and copy and distribute such modifications
or work under the terms of this License, provided that you cause the files
modified to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and
the date of any change. You are encouraged to notify the authors of ENskip
(skip@tik.ee.ethz.ch) about your changes.

  4. You may copy and distribute ENskip or a derivative of it, under the
condition that you accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-
readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of this
License, or point to a place where the person receiving your distribution
of ENskip may reliably receive the machine-readable source code without
additional costs other than a reasonable amount for the actual transfer of
the data.
  If distribution of object code is made by offering access to copy from a
designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the source code
from the same place satisfies the requirement to distribute the source code,
even though third parties are not compelled to copy the source along with
the object code.

  5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of ENskip, but
is designed to work with ENskip by interacting with its run-time components,
is called a "work that uses ENskip".  Such a work, in isolation, is not a
derivative work of the ENskip, and therefore falls outside the scope of this
License.

  6. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, execute, use, or distribute
ENskip  except as expressly provided under this License.  Any attempt
otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense, execute, use, or distribute ENskip
is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License.
However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this
License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties
remain in full compliance.

  7. Each time you redistribute ENskip (or any work based on ENskip), the
recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to
copy, distribute, execute, use or modify ENskip subject to these terms and
conditions.  You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
exercise of the rights granted herein.  You are not responsible for enforcing
compliance by third parties to this License.

  8. Commercial exploitation of a product based on this work or a derivative
of it except as provided by section 5) of this License is expressly forbidden
unless you receive written consent by the copyright holders of this work.
They are reachable via <skip@tik.ee.ethz.ch> or
    Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
	    TIK / Germano Caronni
       CH-8092 Zuerich / Switzerland

                            NO WARRANTY

  BECAUSE ENskip IS PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR
THIS PACKAGE.
EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR
OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PACKAGE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE
PACKAGE IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE PACKAGE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME
THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

  IN NO EVENT WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY
MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PACKAGE AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE
TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE
PACKAGE (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING
RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A
FAILURE OF THE PACKAGE TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE), EVEN IF
SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES.

--
<...cookie space for rent...>

Germano Caronni    caronni@tik.ee.ethz.ch    http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~caronni
PGP-Key-ID:7B7AE5E1                            997C6DC4AF930A5D2D5D6AEAA196C33B