IPSP Management Specifications was - Re: Managing IPSP

Hi Uri,

The ipsec WG does need to develop a draft recommendation for "management of
IPSP" (aka ah/esp).  Your contributions would be greatly helpful if you are
working in this area.  Most of the security management problems have been
worked before so you might want to check the NIST and ISO publications for NLSP
(ISO11577).  There was a complete CMIP  MIB developed for NLSP.  Some of this
work could be converted to SNMP (just a rough idea for a starting point).

Note that there could be specific work items for:

 1) ah/esp security management (perhaps two specifications)
   - access control (allowed network addresses, allowed protocols, etc.)
   - audit / alarms
   - configuration
   - etc.

 2) Security for IPSEC Management
    it would be nice to decouple security from the security management info
    What if IPSEC security management used SNMP over IPSP (aka ah/esp)?...

 3) Key Management (we are already working on the real-time exchange
    part of this item). There still needs to be additional functionality for
    moving keys, managing IKMP, etc.  Note that access control mechanisms should
    be defined both at the IKMP level and at the netework (ah/esp) level.
    At the IKMP level access control could be based on allowed lists of
    "identities". A SA would then only be created for an acceptable identity.

Regards,

Paul