Re: IPSP Management Specifications was - Re: Managing IPSP

Michael Richardson writes:
> Whatever mechanism MIB is arrived at for managing security via IPSC, would
> transport fairly well into the firewall world. Firewalls are "security
> gateways" afterall.

First - it's not "managing *via* IPSP - it's managing IPSP *itself*.
Second - I don't think it maps onto firewall world at all.

> Much recent discussion about security in SNMPv2 (please do not follow
> up anything here -- I'm cross posting) suggests that using IPSEC for SNMP
> authentication is premature. Similarly, it seems that using SNMPv2 for IPSEC
> configuration may be a problem :-)

IPSEC for SNMP auth is wrong,  since SNMP  is designed  to go over many
more transports, than IP (or IPSEC). Using SNMP for IPSEC configuration
seems perfectly good idea to me.

> A strawman MIB Charter was posted by Howard Berkowitz <hcb@clark.net> on
> May 14th if you are looking through the archives.

Thanks for the reference. It will be useful.
--
Regards,
Uri		uri@watson.ibm.com	angmar!uri