ISAKMP formal analysis

To Mark Schertler
NSA R23

Mark,

We met at the NSA Techfest.  I am working with Jack Wool to identify
to what extent formal security analysis using belief logic could support
the development of security protocols such as the ISAKMP.

I have started reviewing the internet draft from the IPSEC Working Group
on ISAKMP.  My initial reaction is that this development would be a good
fit; our methodology can help systematically identify potential avenues
for certain attacks, particularly masquerade and replay, within the protocol.

We do however need more information.  Please let us know where we
can obtain a copy of the Karn95 paper:

        P. Karn and B. Simpson, "The Photuris Key Management Protocol",
	Internet Draft, work in progress, March 1995.

This paper is referenced for information on "cookie" generation.

I will be in touch by telephone as well.

Grace L. Hammonds
AGCS, Inc.
91 Montvale Avenue
Stoneham, MA  02180