Re: replay attacks

Phillip Rogaway wrote in the IPSEC mailing list:
>  [...] replay detection can
>  be handled by choosing a MAC mechanism which directly provides
>  that service.  Indeed a 96-128 bit MAC has ample space to
>  directly incorporate replay detection, and one can "generically"
>  modify any (ordinary) Message Authentication mechanism into a new
>  one which protects against replays.  The cost is making the
>  MAC some 32-64 bits longer, say.

Perhaps there is even no need to make the MAC longer?

Using e.g. keyed MD5 or whatever one could place a time stamp with sufficent
granularity into the 'key' part of the authenticated data. So the MAC would
only be correct if the receiver gets it in the same time-frame.
The only drawback I see, is that you can not actually read from the packet for
which time-slot it has been produced.
Are there other drawbacks I am not aware of?

Friendly greetings,

	Germano

Follow-Ups: References: