going forward

> From: Steve Kent <kent@BBN.COM>
>       ... written swipe I-D, ... verbal presentations ...
> people may reasonably support or reject the proposal based not just on
> the mechanism but also on the rationale provided.

Fine, at least you belatedly came to the same conclusion.  I simply read
the I-D, and what they wrote made sense to me.  Some people just take
more lengthy explainations.

> This would suggest that the data covered by the AH differs, depending
> on where AH appears.

Of course.  This was discussed at some length, on several lists.  Very
clean approach, easily implementable.  Sorry you missed it before.
Water under the bridge.

> It is also confusing that this discussion of
> what data is covered by AH appears not in the AH spec, or in the
> architecture spec, but in the ESP spec.

Yeah, architecture would have been better.  Draft Standard would be a
good time to raise this issue again.

> I'd like to see us evolve the
> specs to remove this dual mode usage of AH and focus,

Let's not.  Complicates the protocol.   Headers should just be processed
as they come.

> instead on
> providing (optional) integrity and authenticity services within ESP.

This WG went down that all-things-to-all-people rat-hole for 3 years.
Waste of time.  We've made our decisions.  Unless there is a
demonstrable security hole, impossible to fix with a simple
implementation note, let's move on.

And how is _your_ AH and ESP implementation coming?

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu