Re: 3DES keys

> From: Hilarie Orman <ho@cs.arizona.edu>
> Yes, but there number of bits of uncertainity here isn't the same as
> the strength, or work factor for breaking the system.  It's often the
> case in cryptography that things don't add up this way.  In DH, you've
> got g^x and g^y traveling over the wire, and the secret is g^(xy).
> Revealing either x or y will unravel the secret.  So if the work
> factor for solving g^y for y is less than the work factor for solving
> g^x for x, then g^y is the weak link.

I'd forgotten that.  I'll put some text in the Mod Exp section.

As to elliptic curves, 155 bits of length or 155 bits of strength?

> As for the upper bits, the attacker has read the Photuris spec and
> knows that small exponents are recommended for efficiency.

Hmmm, have to think about that.  Actually, I think it was the number of
1 bits....  Maybe we could still have very large exponents.

> If you use 128 bits of exponent with DH, this has a strength of only 64 bits.
> This is because the time to solve a discrete log problem, using known
> techniques, is the square root of the exponent space.  So if you used
> 64-bit exponents to get 64-bit keys, the attacker would have a work factor
> of only 2^32 to crack the DH, which would be disappointing to the user
> of the crypto algorithm, who thought the work factor was close to the key
> length.

Now again, I still don't understand this well enough to write about it.

In Photuris, all the keys are generated by hashing from the
shared-secret.  Assume the shared-secret length is 128-bits, and its
strength is therefore 64-bits.  But given MD5, its 128-bit length
birthday attack is also 64-bit strength.

So, I don't understand why one would use more than 128 bits for the
length of the shared-secret.  Why would the conservative advice be 256
bit length?

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu