Re: 3DES keys

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> Two n bit keys in multiple encryption schemes give you somewhat less
> than an effective 2n key bit key length, whereas three keys actually
> give you an effective 2n bit key length. See the discussion in
> Schneier's book on crypto -- I think its in chapter 8.

I've read it Perry.  Hilary said this years' Crypto had a session showing
that 2 key 3DES was no better than DES.  I'm asking for the details, or
some refutation.

And I have asked twice: what folks have implemented 3DES in hardware, so
we can make a sensible decision on how to generate the keys?

I consider software more maleable than hardware.  If no one speaks up,
it will be clear that nobody important has done anything in hardware,
and what I write on the topic will be acceptable and final.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu