3DES keys

I have a question about making 3DES keys.  Are there particular hardware
and software implementation requirements?

For a key generator of MD5, it seems relatively obvious that the 128-bits
could be split into two 64-bit chunks, and allocated between encrypt and
decrypt (EDE), wasting the lsb of each octet.

But when using SHA, we get 160-bits, which is almost enough for three
separate 56-bit keys.  We could do something clever to make up the last
8 bits.

What have people implemented in the past?

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu