Re: 3DES keys

>  As to elliptic curves, 155 bits of length or 155 bits of strength?

That's 155/2 bits of strength.

>  > As for the upper bits, the attacker has read the Photuris spec and
>  > knows that small exponents are recommended for efficiency.
>  >
>  Hmmm, have to think about that.  Actually, I think it was the number of
>  1 bits....  Maybe we could still have very large exponents.

This is actually an interesting suggestion, but it probably doesn't win.
You can get 64-bits of strength by dispersing 19 bits at random in 1024.
This makes one part of the DH computation very fast, but it slows down the
other substantially.

>  In Photuris, all the keys are generated by hashing from the
>  shared-secret.  Assume the shared-secret length is 128-bits, and its
>  strength is therefore 64-bits.  But given MD5, its 128-bit length
>  birthday attack is also 64-bit strength.

Yes, that's true.

>  So, I don't understand why one would use more than 128 bits for the
>  length of the shared-secret.  Why would the conservative advice be 256
>  bit length?

The title of the thread is 3DES keys.  That's 112 bits * 2 = 224 bits of
exponent.

Separately Tatu Ylonen in <199509301605.SAA09672@shadows.cs.hut.fi>
asks about the speed tradeoff for elliptic curves.  The advantage of
elliptic curves becomes more pronounced as the *length* of the shared
secret (the modulus) increases.  We found the break-even point to be
512 bits for mod p vs.  155 bits for EC.  If you use 1024 bit or 2048
bit mod p systems, the corresponding EC's are much more efficient.