lengths and strengths

> From: Hilarie Orman <ho@cs.arizona.edu>
> >  As to elliptic curves, 155 bits of length or 155 bits of strength?
>
> That's 155/2 bits of strength.

Hmmm, that's only good enough for DES and/or MD5, not 3DES and/or SHA.

Do you have any stronger groups we could use instead?

> elliptic curves becomes more pronounced as the *length* of the shared
> secret (the modulus) increases.  We found the break-even point to be
> 512 bits for mod p vs.  155 bits for EC.  If you use 1024 bit or 2048
> bit mod p systems, the corresponding EC's are much more efficient.

Let's use the corresponding EC's then, please.  We aren't even using
512 bit moduli for ModExp.

> >  > As for the upper bits, the attacker has read the Photuris spec and
> >  > knows that small exponents are recommended for efficiency.
> >  >
> >  Hmmm, have to think about that.  Actually, I think it was the number of
> >  1 bits....  Maybe we could still have very large exponents.
>
> This is actually an interesting suggestion, but it probably doesn't win.
> You can get 64-bits of strength by dispersing 19 bits at random in 1024.
> This makes one part of the DH computation very fast, but it slows down the
> other substantially.

Which half?  I'm only concerned about the speed of shared-secret
generation, not public key computation (precomputed in background).

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu