Re: Photuirs & signature - protocol vs. algorithm

> From: "Juan A. Garay ((914) 784-6852)" <garay@watson.ibm.com>
> Subject: Photuirs & signature - protocol vs. algorithm
>
> Ran Atkinson writes:
>
> > 4.
> >   It is true that the theoretical cryptography community and the
> > computer networking community do not share the same meaning for the
> > term "protocol".  The former uses "protocol" in a way that the latter
> > would generally use "algorithm".  Neither group is wrong, but perhaps
> > it is helpful to remind folks of this.  I don't find flames on this
> > matter to be constructive.  We all need to try to cooperate and work
> > together here. :-)
>
> In a distributed, network environment, a protocol is (should be)
> a collection of algorithms, one for each participant.

A protocol is the set of rules the set of distributed algorithms obey,
i.e., the way they interact.

It comes from the term for the rules of diplomatic interaction.

Spec the rules, and the algorithms can be implemented independently.

That's the whole point.

Joe