SKIP

Perry,

  You are mistaken as several folks have tried to say but you don't
seem to understand.

  I _NEVER_ said that "SKIP was rejected" or anything like it.  I said
that the primary focus of the WG was to get the agreed upon approach
meeting the agreed upon requirements (namely Photuris, which DOES provide
Perfect Forward Secrecy which is a property that IS needed by the
community) but that other approaches could also proceed.  There was
a SKIP BOF held and the conclusion was that SKIP would continue within
the IPsec WG.  The world is multiprotocol and always will be.  SKIP
has some community of interest and I want it to proceed.  I think the
recent steps towards AH/ESP compatibility are movement in the correct
direction.

  Now as co-chair, I too have been very disappointed by the "quotes" from
Sun in the trade press (Network World, Comm Week, etc) to the effect
that the IETF and the IPsec WG had already picked SKIP to be "The Standard".
Now I knew then and know now that such claims are false.  However, it is
not entirely clear where those misunderstandings arose.  It is clear that
the trade press makes mistakes just like other humans.

  Please DO relax and at least let the SKIP effort proceed without your
recent distractions.

Ran
rja@cs.nrl.navy.mil