Re: editorial on Photuris

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 4,MIC-CLEAR
 A0EApEjzeBjiSnGImJXgeY1K8HWSufpJ2DpLBF7DYqqIVAX9H7gmfOJhfeGEYVjK
 aTxjgASxqHhzkx7PkOnL4JrN+Q==
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 CROdd/Q6nEYM6VFEP0Ya94XIVhzjrbXEmeYjLZ3EcUrls8v/4AenzWOxef/w1g8S
 +5Q6DaUoZqx/8rURLeMR6sc=

Recent comments by Perry and Ran underscore the primary problem with
the IETF process in its current state of near anarchy (please Perry and
Ran, do not take this as a personal comment, it is simply meant as an
observation of the process as a whole) -- if there is a group responsible
for overall architecture and direction, none of the working groups seem
to be aware of this or follow its recommendations.  If I understand the
two of you correctly, you share an implicit assumption that IP security
requires a roll-your-own certificate based on domain names and stored
in DNS.

Well, the public key infrastructure and web security groups are
independently working on infrastructures to support electronic commerce.
They are competing against similar proposals from a wide variety of
individual companies and commercial groups including Netscape, Visa,
Microsoft, Mastercard and others.  All of these proposals are based on
X.509 certificates or some close variant.  All of these groups have
significantly more influence when it comes to final deployment of
applications and end systems than the IETF.

The web-based and electronic commerce applications are significant
contributors to the recent explosive growth in the Internet.  A sizeable
percentage of all systems on the net ALREADY USE X.509 for some
applications -- this will soon be a majority of all systems if the
current growth rates for various applications continue.

I'm sure it will come as a shock to Perry, but I have a strong dislike
for ASN.1, X.509 certificates and DNs.  But I am enough of a pragmatist
to understand that not only will they not go away, they will soon be
universally deployed within certain applications.  I also understand that
developing, maintaining and administering two parallel infrastructures
is more complex and expensive than supporting just one, and that selling
the second infrastructure to a customer that already has the first will be
difficult.

I also have sufficient experience developing and installing secure
systems to foresee that:

	- domain names (without semantic extensions) provide insufficient
	  flexibility to adequately identify the full variety of principals
	  (users, hosts, printers, fax servers, etc...) that will require
	  strong I&A in the future

	- if we clutter the DNS with all the additional information
	  required to support a fully developed, distributed, secure
	  infrastructure, it will look remarkably like an X.500
	  Directory Service.

> > Nor does the use of DNs ever have to be presented at the user or
> > application level.
>
> No, but again, things get ugly if what one is binding isn't what the
> user cares about.

True, but to the user neither:

	Charles.Watt@sware.com
	sware.com
	ga.gov

nor
	CN=Charles Watt, O=SecureWare, C=US
	O=SecureWare, C=US
	O=Georgia Certificate Authority, C=US

are as effective as a more formatted display.  If you need to reformat
anyway, what's the difference?

> I'd prefer to ignore the issue of whether or not that is possible and
> get back to my original point -- I think we will need, at some point,
> a certificate format. X.509 is unacceptable to the community. I'd like
> to invite the "smart people" around these parts to start working
> together to try to produce a good alternative.

It would not be difficult to come up with a better certificate format
than X.509.  We need the "smart people" to determine whether doing so
is in the best interest of various communities of concern --  end users,
developers, etc... -- taking into consideration develops and trends outside
of IPSEC.

Charles Watt
SecureWare
-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----